Blogs and Websites
Provision Team builds Blogs and Websites
Building a blog has never been easier with the Blogger and WordPress platforms. We can do it all for you, or give you discounts for helping with the process. Both options are just fine with us. Most of our clients are up and running in just a few days.
Here are the steps to getting your Blog or Website project moving forward:
Step 1: Planning your Blog
Before you do anything on the web, you need to create your website plan. What is included in your website plan?
- Some sort of design overview. We use a Design Brief, or a document that captures the essence of your brand.
- Did you pay someone to create a professional logo and brand? If not, did you do it yourself?
- Is your logo in the proper formats (jpeg, png, etc.)
- What are your color schemes?
- Do you have imagery to upload to your blog or website? Do you own it?
- Do you have a photo-sharing site like Flickr, Picassa, etc.?
- Do you have professionally created headers to upload to your site?
- Can you use some photo enhancement software like PhotoShop to resize and alter images?
- What type of navigation would you like your site to use?
- Do you want to keep a record of the traffic that comes to your site?
- What is your preferred location of things? Menu bar, logo, headers, other?
- How many pages will you need on your site? We give you 21 options to think about.
- How much control do you want over the content of your site?
- Answer this question…are you trying to brand your blog, start a business, provide a free service, etc.? These will become the goals of your blog.
- Do you want to make money with your blog or website (e-commerce)?
- Who will maintain your site once it is developed. IMPORTANT to know!
Step 2: What you need to get started
- Create an account with a domain registrant (Go Daddy, Google, Network Solutions, etc.)
- Secure/buy a Domain Name (.com. .net, .org, etc.)
- Buy a hosting package (server with OS software) for the domain
- Install the application software (Blogger, WordPress, other?)
- Record you admin and password details (you will need these for later to log into your back office site)
- Sit back and wait to propagate, meaning, the downloading of the software and creation of all access points)
Step 3: Login and customize your site
- Load a theme (default is twenty-eleven or twenty-ten in WordPress)
- Visit WordPress.org for lots of free themes. If you can’t find one you like, there are many sites that sell themes that are created by graphic designers.
- Customize your theme to match your brand
- Upload images, logo, headers. etc.
- Create pages for your site (home is reserved for your blog posts)
- Prepare posts (if a blog)
- Tags, SEO and Categories
Step 4: Plan your Blog
What is your blog strategy? If you don’t have one, you will stumble until you create one. Do it now.
How does it tie to the rest of your web presence?
Do you have a social media strategy?
Do you know how you plan to attract your audience?
Should you use video with your blog
Step 5: Tie your site to Social Media
Links or Icons to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
Step 6: Avoid making simple mistakes
There is a ton of information on the web regarding the creation of blogs and websites. A Google search and some time on YouTube will help immensely. If you are not sure what to search for, or this whole process is just not your thing, reach out to us and we will be glad to assist you.